Bug Bite Prevention
- Wear protective clothing when spending time outdoors that covers as much of your skin as possible. Choose lightweight and breathable fabrics to stay cool.
- Use insect repellent on any exposed skin to prevent bug bites. Products containing DEET are effective repellents for mosquitoes, ticks, and other insects.
- Keep bugs out of your home by having screens to prevent bugs from entering.
- Get rid of standing water around your home as mosquitoes breed in such environments.
- Always check yourself and your kids for ticks after spending time outdoors and seek medical attention if you develop symptoms of tick-borne illness such as fever, headache, or rash.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend the use of DEET on children under 2 months of age.